Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Love of Reading

When I was a kid, I hated reading.

I know that might be controversial to say as an English teacher, but it's the truth. I had a difficult time seeing the 'point' in my education in general, and because reading did not come as easily to me as art did, I was determined not to do it at all.

And then my teacher read Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. 

It is my personal belief that everyone has a story that was written just for them. And my hope for everyone I meet is that they have either already found that story or that they continue their journey to find it.

Black Beauty was my story. As our teacher read aloud to us, my heart caught fire on the magic that is the written word. Sewell's engaging narrative pulled me into her world of horse-drawn carriages and class struggles, then pushed me back into a reality where I could either remain stagnant or grow into the potential that I always had. 

Because of that story, and because I made the choice to grow, I went from the lowest level student to the highest in one year. 

It is because of that experience and many similar to it that I became a teacher. While it is true that every student's journey is unique and that much of their success depends on their willingness to grow, I also know that my teacher's choice to read to us is the catalyst that cased that change in myself. I know that, without her and many other incredible people in my life, I would not have gained the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed.

So, while I do not consider myself the ultimate reason behind my student's success or failures, I take into account the importance of my role in their life every day. It is my job to provide those catalysts for growth and a love of learning that can only be sparked by those who have found it themselves.

The one universal truth I have found in educators is a genuine love of learning and developing forever.

For me, that love of learning came through the written word. For others, it may by that first science lab or math equation where everything just clicks. And for still others, that love could be seen on a football or soccer field while surrounded by the teammates who support you through any and everything. 

So, from one lost kid to another, please stay open to the possibilities all around you. Who knows? That history lesson or math worksheet could be the spark that sets off a lifetime dream - and even if it isn't, just take it one step at a time. It takes real bravery to keep trying...so let's keep trying together.

By: Amber Griffin, 6th Grade English/History




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love of Reading

When I was a kid, I hated reading. I know that might be controversial to say as an English teacher, but it's the truth. I had a difficul...